County by county financial aid for Hurricane Matthew relief

One of the most frequently asked questions in the wake of Hurricane Matthew has been: how can I get financial help?

If you live in the city of Jacksonville, we have information for you. If not, you may have to wait awhile.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency or FEMA has been working in the counties that have been affected by Hurricane Matthew over the past few days, doing a preliminary survey of the damage. They have been working with the emergency management departments in each county in order to get an accurate portrayal of the damage.

Once FEMA finishes their preliminary assessment, they report their findings to the state's governor, who then reports to the President who can call for an Individual Assistance Declaration for the counties. This declaration is what allows counties to receive federal aid. 

FEMA Public Information Officer Cherie Brown said the best course of action for people with homes and businesses that have had damage is to begin cleaning up if it is safe to do so. Brown urged that you take photos of all of the damage and keep receipts. Brown also encourages citizens to call the hotlines and report the damage to your home so both FEMA and your county can better asses the extent of the damage.

If the Individual Assistance Declaration is made and you are approved from FEMA financial assistance, you will be reimbursed. 

With that being said, here is a list, categorized by county, with information you may be looking for:


One of the only counties that says you may qualify for a grant (independent of FEMA) if you have had damage to your home. 

If you need immediate assistance, please call (904) 632-0600 

City of Jacksonville has a webpage of relief help, click here.

For information on the grant and how to apply, click here.


Call the help line at 904-284-7703

Clay County Emergency Management's website.

If you call this hotline they will take down your information and get you with the Clay Safety Net, which is a group of churches and non profits that are helping get essential items to those in need.

Clay does not have financial assistance outside of FEMA funding, Mr. Ward with the Clay County Emergency Management says he is currently, "arguing his case" with FEMA for financial aid. Ward said that he has seen the damage first hand it some of it is quite severe, Clay needs the assistance. 


Call the help line at 386-329-1904

Putnam is also applying for assistance from FEMA.

St. Johns County

Hurricane hotline at 904-824-5550

To report damage to your home or business please visit the St. Johns County Property Appraiser's Office.

Michael Ryan with St. Johns County said that they are working on identifying hurricane relief specific funding. 


Hurricane hotline can be reached at 904-548-0900

Waiting for funding through FEMA, has been a preliminary assessment of damage for the past couple of days.

Georgia Counties

We could not reach any of the emergency management offices for our Georgia Counties. However, the state of Georgia's website  had information regarding federal funding for counties. They are also waiting for FEMA to approve counties for funding.

If you have been out of work as a result of the hurricane, here are some resources:

Northeast Florida


Small business disaster loan information:

Disaster assistance for Florida counties. None in our viewing areas are listed, however you may still apply.

Small Business Association grant information can be found here.



To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment