Boyfriend charged in death of 9-month-old Charli Smith

CLAY COUNTY, Fla. – The boyfriend of the mother who lost her 9-month-old child earlier this year was arrested on felony charges of aggravated child neglect and aggravated manslaughter of a child on Thursday evening.

Matthew David Hamrysky, 27, was apprehended on the 1600 block of Morningside Drive on Sept. 8, 2016 at after a 7-month long investigation into the death of 9-month-old Charli Smith.

An initial investigation into the death of Charli revealed that the mother, Ashely Smith, was working at Captain D’s off of Blanding Blvd. while her boyfriend, Hamrysky, was watching over her two children. Hamrysky called Smith while she was still at work to tell her the 9-month-old infant had stopped breathing.

STORY: DCF identifies deceased 9-month-old, two investigations underway

According to official reports, Smith returned home to find her infant unresponsive and not breathing. She called 9-1-1 while Hamrysky attempted to perform CPR on the infant. Clay County Fire Rescue ended up transporting the infant to Orange Park Medical Center where she was soon thereafter pronounced deceased at 10:08 p.m. on Feb. 2, 2016.

According to authorities, Hamrysky’s initial statements regarding the infant’s cause of death did not coincide with injuries that were seen on her body. Authorities also questioned Hamrysky’s decision to call Smith before 9-1-1 after realizing the child was having respiratory problems. 

According to the affidavit, a further investigation revealed that Hamrysky had dropped the victim between 5 and 6 p.m. on Feb. 2. Video footage recorded on Hamrysky's cell phone showed the victim lying on the bed struggling to breathe at 6:09 p.m. Around 6:30 p.m. Smith placed a call to Hamrysky to check on her children. Hamrysky told her everything was fine, never mentioning the child’s injuries.

Hamrysky further videotaped the child struggling inside the pack and play that he had dropped her in at approximately 6:47 p.m. Hamrysky called Smith at 7:15 p.m. to tell her that the victim wasn’t breathing.

After months of reviewing medical reports, on June 10, 2016 forensic pathologist Dr. Robert Buchsbaum ruled that the victim’s death was a homicide, listing the cause of death as blunt impact head trauma.

A Dr. Pena with the First Coast Child Protection Team further reviewed the case. After examining Orange Park Medical Center records, video footage from Hamrysky’s cellphone and an autopsy report, Pena safely ruled that based on the timeline of events that if emergency medical intervention had been sought immediately after the victim sustained the injuries there was a good chance her life could have been possibly saved or at least prolonged.

Pena further advised that based on all of the documentation he was provided, the victim’s injuries are not consistent with Hamrysky’s statements that he dropped the infant into the pack and play from a standing position.

Hamrysky has first appeared in Clay County on Friday morning facing two felony charges. He currently remains in Clay County Jail held on a total bond amount of $400,000.

The Clay County Sheriff’s Office has said that Hamrysky is currently on suicide watch after statements he made during the arrest and booking process.

(© 2016 WTLV)


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment