LIVE VIDEO: WTLV Live Video_1    Watch

Family of man shot by Waycross Police refute officers' story

11:59 AM, Oct 8, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +
Jack Lamar Roberson, 43

WAYCROSS, Ga. -- The family of Jack Lamar Roberson, 43, is disputing statements made by Waycross Police on how he was shot and killed during a police shooting Friday.

"He didn't have nothing in his hands at any time or period at all before they came, any time while they were here, anything. They just came in and shot him. He didn't say nothing, the police didn't say nothing, anything, it was like a silent movie. You couldn't hear anything, all you could hear were the gun shots go off and I seen them going into his body and he just fell down," cried Alicia Herron, Roberson's fiance.  

Herron said she called 911 to call an ambulance for Roberson. She said she was worried about medication he took for his diabetes, but instead of paramedics, officers arrived at the home on Reed Street.  

The Waycross Police Department said officers responded to the home after receiving a report of an attempted suicide and while en route, they were updated that the man had become combative. The Police Chief Tony Tanner said Roberson lunged at the officers with two items he described as weapons and said Roberson ignored requests to drop the items.

Tanner said Roberson then allegedly raised one of the weapons in an aggressive manner. Tanner said that's when officers fired. Diane Roberson said her son didn't have any weapons in his hands.

"If you're any type of man you'll come to me and you'll tell me why you stood up there and told a lie. Two knives, we don't own two decent knives," said Roberson's mother. 

According to a Waycross Police Department Incident Report, "Near Roberson's head was a black handled, two prong meat fork and another black handled kitchen utensil." The black handled kitchen utensil could not be identified because the metal part was covered by a shoe.

Police have not said whether the so-called weapons were knives, but Mayor Clarence Billups said he was informed of the incident Friday and heard Roberson had threatened the officers with a knife. Roberson said her son was not aggressive. He is survived by his mother, sisters, fiance and two daughters. 

"It's pain, it's a mother's pain, her first born to be shot down in her face. My granddaughter's got to have intense therapy," said Roberson's mother.

The Waycross Police Department requested the GBI take over the investigation. An autopsy was performed Monday, but those results are not available yet.

Officers involved in the shooting were placed on administrative leave, Tanner said.

First Coast News

Most Watched Videos