LIVE VIDEO: WTLV Live Video_1    Watch

Son Says Boynton Beach man in double murder-suicide wasn't 'bad'

9:16 PM, Feb 3, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

(NBC NEWS) -- A South Florida man who police say went on a murderous and suicidal rampage at his estranged wife's home never before was known to be an angry man, his eldest son said Sunday.

"He was not a bad man," 19-year-old Manny Zavala was quoted by the Sun Sentinel as he described his father, Isidro Zavala. "He was always a hard worker, trying to give us the best life he could."

Manny Zavala, his relatives and friends on Sunday returned to the 400 block of Southwest Eighth Avenue, where Boynton Beach police say Isidro Zavala killed his two youngest sons and himself early Saturday.

Isidro Zavala spared his wife's life, telling her that she would live to suffer from the deaths of her children, Eduardo Zavala, 12, and Mario Zavala, 11, police said.

Manny Zavala didn't reside with either parent and wasn't present during the killings, police said. He learned what happened when Boynton Beach police detectives woke him and drove him to the station to tell him the news, the Sun Sentinel said.

Manny Zavala said he last saw his father Friday morning, when he had invited his father to watch the Super Bowl at his house. "There was no indication there was anything wrong," Manny Zavala told the newspaper. "He said OK. I had no idea that's the last time I would see him."

Manny Zavala said police had not shown him the note that his father left behind, addressed to him, which he said he expected would contain an explanation for his father's actions.

Manny Zavala's mother, Victoria Flores Zavala, contacted police, who arrived at her house about 1:50 a.m. Saturday.

Officers found one child dead in a back screened patio area. A second child was found dead in the kitchen dining room area. Officers found Isidro Zavala's body in the kitchen, police said.

Victoria Zavala said that her husband killed their children, police said. She said her husband had been separated from her for some time and no longer lived in the house.

"She tried fighting him off and begged him to kill her and not the children," Boynton Beach police spokeswoman Stephanie Slater said in a press release. "He told her she was going to stay alive and suffer the loss of them."



NBC News

Most Watched Videos