LIVE VIDEO: WTLV Live Video_1    Watch

Jacksonville police: Friend believes man may have flown plane into ocean

10:54 AM, Sep 27, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Police are investigating a missing man who is believed to have flown his airplane into the ocean.

Jacksonville Sheriff's Officers were called to Herlong Airport on Tuesday when a man was trying to locate his friend Gene Milowicki. The man told police he believed Milowicki flew his plane into the ocean, according to a release from JSO Public Information Officer Melissa Bujeda.

Police found Milowicki's vehicle in the hangar, but not the plane. A suicide note dated Sunday, September 23, 2012 at 2:25 a.m. was found on the passenger's seat of Milowicki's vehicle.

Police also confirmed that Milowicki did indeed enter Herlong Airport at 2:04 a.m. through the east gate ramp.

Michael Corby of Florida State College at Jacksonville confirmed that Milowicki had been employed at the school. The school's website lists him as FSCJ's Director of Aviation Programs.

According to Duval County Clerk of Courts records, Milowicki was arrested after he violated an injunction for protection against domestic violence on August 20.

His wife filed for divorce the next day, August 21. Milowicki then filed a counter petition on September 17.

Since Sunday, a fisherman found some airplane parts along St. Augustine, but Bujeda said no human remains have been found. The Federal Aviation Administration said a wing of a plane was found near Fernandina Beach and that the U.S. Coast Guard is searching 32 miles from the entrance of the St. Johns River into the ocean.

Police are working with the Coast Guard and the FAA on this case to determine if the airplane parts belong to Milowicki's plane. No foul play is suspected, Bujeda said.

Dennis Diaz of the National Transportation Safety Board said Thursday the investigation is in the preliminary stages as the agency gathers as much info as possible for a preliminary report.

Diaz said the NTSB is working with the FAA to see if there is any voice or radar data and with the USCG on any debris that has been found.

An FAA investigator from Orlando is coming to the area Thursday to examine the debris that has been found and then report the findings to the NTSB.

A preliminary report will be posted on the NTSB site in five to 10 days while the final report could take nine months to complete, Diaz said.

First Coast News

Most Watched Videos