FORSYTH COUNTY, Ga. -- 58-year-old Pat Von Hecke didn't know that after a trip to Disney World, she would be in for the fight of her life.
The woman noticed a blister on her toe during the Disney trip and after going to the doctor learned she had contracted a bacterial infection known as necrotizing fasciitis. Doctors are unsure as to how she contracted it.
Von Hecke was treated at Northside Hospital-Forsyth County and explained that the pain from her wounds felt like someone was "torching her leg from the inside."
Doctors said Von Hecke was very cooperative during her surgeries and she was willing to "do whatever."
After 12 surgeries, surgeons were able to save her limbs and she is recovering. According to her husband she has months of therapy ahead.