JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- As the city prepares for New Year's celebrations and a big weekend of football ahead, the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office is getting the downtown area ready for the influx of visitors.
MORE: Gator Bowl festivities
MORE: Things to Do in Jacksonville this Weekend
There will be several road closures and traffic pattern changes during the New Year's Eve celebrations downtown, the Jacksonville Jaguars vs. Indianapolis Colts game, and the 2012 Taxslayer.com Gator Bowl festivities. Below is the list of closures and traffic tips, according to JSO.
Road Closures on Saturday, Dec. 31, 2011 for the Vystar 5K Gator Bowl Run:
- Event starts at 10 a.m. Road Closures will begin at 9:45 a.m. -The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office will be using a hold and release traffic pattern during this event.
- The Main Street Bridge will be closed from approximately 9:45 a.m. until 12 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 31, 2011 for the Vystar 5K Gator Bowl Run.
- Coastline Drive from the Landing to Newnan Street will be closed from Saturday, Dec. 31 at 8 a.m. through Sunday, Jan. 1 at 6 p.m
The following roads will be closed from 2 p.m.-5 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 31 for the Gator Bowl Parade:
- Bay Street from the Shipyards to Newnan Street
- Coastline Drive from Newnan Street to Liberty Street
- Liberty Street from Coastline Drive to Bay Street
- Coastline Drive from Market Street to Liberty Street will be closed from 5 p.m.-6:30 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 31
Traffic tips for the Jacksonville Jaguars vs. Indianapolis Colts game (Sunday, Jan. 1 at 1 p.m.) and the 2012 Taxslayer.com Gator Bowl (Monday, Jan. 2 at 1 p.m.):
- Beaver Street and Monroe Street are the best routes into the sports complex; if you are parking on the west side of the stadium, these streets will get you to the parking garages and all the lots on the west side of the stadium.
- Fans should try to cross the bridge into downtown that is closest to their parking space not the bridge most convenient to their origination point. For example: if you leave from San Marco and your parking pass if for Lot C, do not take the Main Street Bridge. Instead take the Hart Bridge and enter the stadium area that way. It will save time spent in traffic on the downtown side of the bridge.
- Fans should be familiar with their parking location before game day.
- No streets will be closed in the sports complex before either game. Sign boards will direct drivers into the appropriate lanes for designated lots.
- Pre-game traffic patterns will begin at 10 a.m.
- Inbound Traffic patterns pre-event do not restrict access to any Downtown/Sports complex venue
- Bay Street will have three lanes east bound and one lane west bound.
- Signage will be posted in the downtown area to direct event traffic to lot parking lot locations for parking.
- The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office strongly recommends use of the JTA shuttles to and from the Sports Complex area. Additional information about the shuttle service is located at: www.jtafla.com
- Post-game traffic patterns will begin at the beginning of 4th quarter, approximately 5 p.m.
- Gator Bowl Blvd. at Festival Way will be one way North bound.
- Bay Street/Gator Bowl Blvd. starting at Lot "J" exit will be one way West bound.
- No provision for traffic access to the stadium area post event for 45-minutes to one hour. (One way patterns away from complex)
- Taxi stand is located at the North End of the stadium.
MORE: AAA to Tow Impaired Drivers Home for New Year's
For information on New Year's Eve Celebrations in downtown Jacksonville, please go to www.makeascenedowntown.com.
For information about the Jaguars and Colts game, please go to www.jaguars.com.
For information regarding the 2012 Taxslayer.com Gator Bowl celebrations, please visit www.gatorbowl.com.
For information on the Vystar 5K Gator Bowl Run, please go to www.1stplacesports.com/gb.html.
First Coast News