JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The American Red Cross today launched its official Hurricane App, putting lifesaving information right in the hands of people who live in or who visit hurricane prone areas.
This free app is the second in a series to be created by the American Red Cross for use on both iPhone and Android platforms. It gives instant access to local and real time information on what to do before, during and after hurricanes.
The app also includes a number of features that allow people to monitor personalized weather alerts in locations where family and friends reside and share information with others in their social networks who might also need it.
The Red Cross Hurricane App allows people to receive and spread emergency information and to share their own status with friends and loved ones through social networks, anywhere, anytime.
The launch of the Red Cross hurricane app comes just before what is traditionally the busiest period of the Atlantic hurricane season.
Features of the app include:
- One touch "I'm safe" messaging that allows users to broadcast reassurance to family and friends via social media outlets that they are out of harm's way
- Location-based NOAA weather alerts for the United States and its territories users can share on social networks
- Remote monitoring of personalized weather alerts where family and friends reside
- Locations of open Red Cross shelters
- Simple steps and checklists people can use to create a family emergency plan
- Preloaded content that gives users instant access to critical action steps, even without mobile connectivity
- Toolkit with flashlight, strobe light and audible alarm
- Badges users can earn through interactive quizzes and share on social networks
American Red Cross