JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A fire destroyed a home on the Northside and investigators believe a candle started it.
Laverne Carter lived in the home on Laurel Street for five years. She said it was the perfect home for her and her four children.
Monday night flames shot through the roof. Nobody was home at the time of the fire.
Carter said she doesn't know how she's going to tell her kids they don't have a home. "I just don't know what I'm going to tell them. We can't go home. We don't have a home."
Carter adopted two of her children and said they've already gone through enough in their young lives. She said it breaks her heart to see them lose their home and toys.
"It hurts. I worked so hard and now I have nothing. I don't know what we're going to do," said Carter.
The Red Cross is assisting Carter and her children.
First Coast News