JACKSONVILLE (WTLV, WJXX) -- Three people were taken to the hospital after a fire at an apartment complex early Wednesday morning.

It happened at a complex on the 1600 block of Lansdowne Road in the Arlington area.

JFRD officials on scene said the fire started in an apartment on the first floor, then spread to an apartment on the second floor and damaged 16 units. Two of those units are at a total loss. The three people who were taken to the hospital had non-life threatening injures and are expected to be ok.

The American Red Cross is helping the 32 people who were affected by the damage the smoke, water, and fire created.

First Coast News has reached out to the apartment complex to find out if they are helping the affected residents and to determine if smoke detectors were working at the time of the fire. We have not yet heard back from the Fire Department, however residents and the owner of the building stated that there were working fire alarms.

For good measure, the Red Cross told First Coast News that they offer free fire alarms and escape plans to anyone who would like them. To find more information on that, click here.