JACKSONVILLE, Fla.— Fourteen people had to be treated for carbon monoxide poisoning during Hurricane Matthew, according to the Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Department.

In one case, eight people were hospitalized after a generator was turned on between two apartment buildings Friday night, authorities say. The incident happened at the Pointe Sienna apartment complex on Powers Avenue.

It is extremely important to remember - for your safety and the safety of others - that you should only ever turn on a generator in a well-ventilated area. Otherwise, you might fatally harm someone you care about.

The conditions of the victims were not known, first-responders say.