One of the most frequently asked questions in the wake of Hurricane Matthew has been: how can I get financial help?

If you live in the city of Jacksonville, we have information for you. If not, you may have to wait awhile.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency or FEMA has been working in the counties that have been affected by Hurricane Matthew over the past few days, doing a preliminary survey of the damage. They have been working with the emergency management departments in each county in order to get an accurate portrayal of the damage.

Once FEMA finishes their preliminary assessment, they report their findings to the state's governor, who then reports to the President who can call for an Individual Assistance Declaration for the counties. This declaration is what allows counties to receive federal aid.

FEMA Public Information Officer Cherie Brown said the best course of action for people with homes and businesses that have had damage is to begin cleaning up if it is safe to do so. Brown urged that you take photos of all of the damage and keep receipts. Brown also encourages citizens to call the hotlines and report the damage to your home so both FEMA and your county can better asses the extent of the damage.

If the Individual Assistance Declaration is made and you are approved from FEMA financial assistance, you will be reimbursed.

With that being said, here is a list, categorized by county, with information you may be looking for: